Meet The Doctors
Dr. Jason J. Koenig, D.C.
Dr. Jason J. Koenig, D.C., founder and clinical director of IHCAL, is a member of The Institute for Functional Medicine, The American Functional Medicine Association, and The Endocrine Society. He has extensive post-graduate education in functional endocrinology and clinical nutrition.
Dr. Koenig received his doctorate of chiropractic in 1996 from Parker University in Dallas, TX and received his B.S. from Samford University in Birmingham, AL, graduating magna cum laude in 1992. He is State and National Board Certified and has been in practice since 1996.
Dr. Koenig is certified to practice acupuncture and also has certification in applied clinical nutrition.
- Mastering The Thyroid – Charlotte – Dr. Noseworthy – 6/24-26/2016
- Functional Medicine Masters – Philadelphia – 5/20-21/16
- A Wholistic Approach to Cardiovascular Health – Dr. Gaeta – Atlanta – 5/14-15/16
- Functional Medicine Masters – Orange County – 3/18-19/16
- Organics Acids Workshop – Atlanta – 3/12/16
- Functional Medicine Masters – Denver – 2/25-26/16
- Institute for Functional Medicine – Cardiometabolic Advanced Practice – Atlanta – 2/4-6/16
- Institute for Functional Medicine – Case Based Approach – Dallas – 1/16/16
- Functional Medicine Masters – Irvine, CA – 12/4-5/15
- Functional Medicine Masters – Chicago – 10/16-17/15
- Functional Medicine Masters – Philadelphia – 8/13-14/15
- Autoimmune Signaling Systems and Blood Glucose Issues – Charlotte – 7/25/15
- Functional Medicine Masters – Irvine, CA – 7/17-18/15
- Functional Medicine Masters – Chicago – 5/15-16/15
- Functional Blood Chemistry – Atlanta – Rhonda Nelson, PhD, MH – 5/2-3/15
- Functional Medicine Masters – Denver – 4/17-18/2015
- Achieving Outstanding Outcomes With Functional Wellness – Chicago – Dr. Kim Christensen – 3/21-22/2015
- Mastering Functional Blood Chemistry – Dallas, TX – Brandon Brock – 2/27-3/1/2015
- Functional Medicine Masters – Orange County, CA – 2/20-21/2015
- Comprehensive Stool Analysis Detox, Gluten & Antibiograms – 12/7/2014
- Functional Medicine Masters – Scottsdale, AZ – 12/5-6/2014
- Adrenal & Thyroid Health – Atlanta, GA – Dr. Schippel – 11/08-09/2014
- Clinical Nutrition – Atlanta, GA – David Hogsed LAc, AP – 9/9-7/2014
- Balancing Female & Male Hormones Throughout Life – 5/17/2014
- Essential Herbal Therapy for the 21st Century – Burgoyne – 3/22-23/2014
- Practical Aging Management – Brockenshire – 1/25/2014
- Lab Testing & Analysis – David Hogsed LAc, AP – 11/02-03/2013
- Farms To Forks Conference – 6/28-30/2013
- Power Foods For The Brain – Neal Barnard, M.D.
- Weighing In On The Weight Debate – Jeff Novick, MS, RN, LD, LN
- Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease – Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr., M.D.
- Getting Along Without Going Along – Doug Lisle, Ph.D.
- Herbal Medicine Safety Issues – Hogsed, DOM – 2/10/2013
- Acupuncture Essentials – Hogsed, DOM – 2/10/2013
- Acupuncture Risk Management – Hogsed, DOM – 2/10/2013
- Documenting For Physicians Quality Reporting (PQR) – Frawley – 2/9/2013
- Common Drugs That Deplete Essential Nutrients – Hogsed, DOM – 2/9/2013
- Top 10 Blood Tests to Use With Patients – Dr Furlong – 2/9/2013
- Complex Spine Conditions & Communication – Ingrando – 2/9/2013
- Seven Commonly Misdiagnosed Disorders in Clinical Practice – Dr. Kleber – 2/8/2013
- The Foot-Pelvis Connection: Lower Extremity Biomechanics – Dr. Agocs – 2/8/2013
- Nutritional Assessment for Digestive Complaints – Dr. Latter – 2/8/2013
- Balancing Blood Chemistry with Clinical Nutrition – Dr. Kleber – 2/8/2013
- The 7 Pillars of Health – Dr. Stuart White – 2/2-3/2013
- Alabama State Chiropractic Assoc. Convention – 6/9/2012
- Integrating Nutrition in Practice – Dr. Chad Guess 5/5-6/2012
- University of Western States Acupuncture Certification – 12/2-4/2011
- University of Western States Acupuncture Certification – 11/4-6/2011
- University of Western States Acupuncture Certification – 10/7-9/2011
- University of Western States Acupuncture Certification – 9/9-11/2011
- Acupuncture For Pain Conditions – Samford University 8/18/2011
- Lifestyle Medicine – Harvard Medical School 6/25/2011
- Restorative Endocrinology – Hair Mineral Analysis 4/7/2011
- Functional Medicine – Neurotransmitters – Dr. White 3/24/2011
- Applied Clinical Nutrition Certification – Texas Chiropractic College 1/30/2011
- Nutrition for the Wellness Practice – Dr. Bond 1/28-30/2011
Dr. Chase Horton, D.C.
Dr. Horton strives to maintain an active role at the forefront of the healthcare field by mastering cutting-edge treatment strategies for reversing chronic disease and empowering patients to become active participants in their healthcare. A native Alabamian, Dr. Horton earned a B.S. in health promotion from the University of Montevallo and a doctor of chiropractic degree from Life University in Atlanta. His post-graduate work is in the field of functional medicine and functional endocrinology. In addition, he is nearing completion of a diplomate program in applied clinical nutrition. With a strong background in nutrition and exercise, he is the only healthcare practitioner in the State of Alabama to be tier 1 certified by the Gluten Free Society. Dr. Horton enjoys speaking about type 2 diabetes at health events, hiking, reading, camping, racquetball, weightlifting, mountain biking, yoga, and outdoor activities with his Rottweiler, Henry.
…and the team
Certified Health Coach
After coaching herself through a tumultuous battle with numerous autoimmune disorders, Rebecca Mills-Anderson devoted her life to helping others on their journey to optimal health. At her lowest point, hospitalized and helpless, Rebecca could no longer care for herself. Today, she works as an integrative nutrition certified health coach. She is proficient in numerous protocols, including AIP, Wahls Protocol, and The Immune System Recovery Plan. Rebecca works with patients battling autoimmunity, blood sugar imbalance, hormonal imbalance, digestive conditions, and more.
Sherry Wilson, Nutrition and Health Coach
Sherry’s passion for alternative therapies turned into a career when she discovered the many benefits of EDS. Seeing first-hand how the body is capable of responding when it is naturally balanced fueled her desire to turn this passion into a career. She became certified in the fall of 2011, and proudly joined Dr. Koenig’s office in January of 2012. In addition to EDS, Sherry is also a Health Coach at IHCAL. In the past, she has taught classes on EFT and Essential Oils. And, also has extensive training in nutrition and supplementation. She is currently enrolled in the Doctor of Naturopathy Program at Trinity School of Natural Health.
Joel Cheatwood, COO
In his role as chief operations officer, Joel is responsible for the oversight and management of IHCAL. His duties include marketing, advertising, and statistical data management. Joel is also a trained patient care coordinator and assists in that role as needed.
Office Manager and Patient Care Coordinator
Melissa originally hails from Muscle Shoals, AL and is a graduate of the University of North Alabama, with a degree in human resource management and organizational behavior. She spent 15 years working in human resources and brings a wealth of knowledge from an employee training/engagement and corporate policy perspective. Melissa loves helping patients and employees reach their full potential. She volunteers her time with organizations committed to improving the lives of women and children.
Sydney Burrus, Receptionist
Sydney Burrus is the receptionist at Integrative Health Center of Alabama. Any time you call or come into the office for an appointment, Sydney will likely be the first person to greet you. She joined the team in 2017 and has quickly become an integral part of the IHCAL family.
Martha Henson, Office Assistant
Martha Henson is the IHCAL office assistant. Martha has also successfully completed the type 2 diabetes reversal program! Martha joined the staff in 2015 after completing care. She is loyal, dependable, and hard-working. She fulfills numerous roles, ranging from ordering supplements and supplies to sending informational mailings and dinner event coordination.
Integrative Health Center of Alabama (IHCAL) is a functional medicine practice in Birmingham, Alabama that focuses solely on helping patients reverse chronic diseases, including type II diabetes, thyroid issues, and autoimmune conditions. Our clinical model is based on individualized care customized to fit each patient’s particular condition. We do not simply treat symptoms. Instead, we work to determine the root cause of symptoms to reverse the disease process by supporting the unique physiological makeup of each individual patient. This allows the body’s innate healing processes to take control. Only then can optimal wellness can be achieved.
Dr. Jason J. Koenig, D.C., founder and clinical director, utilizes a holistic, whole-person approach to treatment. This approach to wellness means looking for underlying causes of disturbance or disruption, which may or may not be causing symptoms at the time, and then working to return the body to normal function. As a result, Dr. Koenig is able to help patients accelerate their journey to complete wellness. Dr. Koenig promotes a multidisciplinary approach to healthcare. He practices as a collaborative provider with traditional medical care, rather than as an alternative to it. Dr. Koenig works to communicate treatment plans and rationale to the patient’s entire healthcare team, including family members.